Thursday, September 26, 2013

Artist of The Day

It's been practically eons since I last posted an "Artist of the Day" blog, but I couldn't resist after I re-discovered the Ryan Gosling band that sprang up in 2009.  Somehow I'd forgotten about their incredibly creative self-titled album.

Dead Man's Bones is a rock duo consisting of critically acclaimed actor Ryan Gosling and his friend, Zach Shields.  Gosling and Shields take turns on vocals and both switch up instruments for different songs on the album.  They met in 2005 and discovered they shared a mutual obsession with ghosts and a mutual love for music.  Because of this, they decided to write a love story about ghosts and monsters in a musical format but when that fell through, they made an album instead.  The album features the Silverlake Conservatory of Music's children choir.

So what is so great about Dead Man's Bones besides the beautiful face of Ryan Gosling and his attractive musical partner? Their creativity.  I haven't heard a track of music like this for quite some time.  Every song offers a different experience for the listener.  And as a fan of horror movies, crime novels and dark plot lines, the eeriness behind every track was pleasantly fascinating.  Each time I listen through the album I get something different out of it.  And not to mention, it's the perfect album to listen to on a dreary fall day with a cup of pumpkin coffee, a Bath & Body Works "Leaves" scented candle and a big, cozy sweater.


The above song isn't on their album, but this one is called "Name in Stone." I'm a huge fan of the film noir feel the video has.

I've been wanting to hear them perform live (and how awesome would it be to go to a Halloween-themed concert with a costume?!) but the only light I could shed on their touring situation was in the below article.

http://www.gigwise.com/news/83139/ryan-goslings-band-dead-mans-bones-asked-to-tour-with-gaslight-anthem

Cheers,
Hill xx


No comments:

Post a Comment