Tuesday, June 12, 2012

book talk #1

When I get older, loosing my hair, many years from now, I am going to start a book club. Or at least join one. Reading is something that I grew up doing. My punishment was I was younger was getting my books taken away from me, going to bed with out being able to read. Life was rough, that's all I can say.
Oh, Jane Austen's Book Club
So, being the older weirdo I am, I still read just as much, especially in the summer when I have ample time. As I posted a while ago, I was rereading my favorite childhood series and I found myself caught between the series book 2 and 3. Well I just had to order it from amazon, and then I had to wait.

There are not many things worse than having your heart set on a book and then not be able to read it. So I had to find some books to fill the 4-14 business day wait (seriously, if I have to wait 14 days Amazon is getting a strongly worded email from yours truly) So off to the library with my ma and I grabbed Ruyard Kippling's The Jungle Book, The Chronicles of Christomancy by Diana Wayne-Jones and a John Green novel I hadn't read or heard of.

Now if you haven't heard of John Green, there is something wrong with you. I jest, I jest. Maybe you've heard of Looking for Alaska, one of his many New York Times best sellers. If not please check this out, I implore thee...

Okay, so maybe you don't think he is funny, maybe its because you haven't read J D Salinger's The Catcher in the Rye. But I probably just deterred you and altered your perception of the book I am actually going to review. So, sorry about that. 
But really if you haven't read Catcher, do it. 

Okay, so back to the wait period where I needed a book to read. I picked up John Green's The Fault in Our Stars. Before I give you some fast facts about the book, I must say something. And by say I certainly mean type...
*IF YOU GIVE THE ENDING OF A BOOK AWAY,
 I WILL HATE YOU FOREVER*

With that being said, (again typed, sorry) these fast facts will not give the book away. That is my style with book reviews. I believe in bating the hook (sorry for using fish terminology, seeing as I don't fish) and making you want to read the book for yourself.  


Quick Facts about The Fault in Our Stars:
  1. This book is cripplingly sarcastic. 
  2. This book is about cancers of all shapes and sizes
  3. This book made me cry more than The Book Thief, UP, When Sirius Black died in Harry Potter and Braveheart combined. 
  4. The book that the book revolves around (just follow me) is not real. I already tried to google it. 
  5. Shakespeare provided the inspiration for the title. 
  6. Page 123 made me laugh audibly (as did 107 and many other pages)
  7. With that being said, when I wasn't sobbing, I was cracking up.
  8. I believe in Something with a capital S.
  9. I really like the name Hazel (she is the female protagonist) 
  10. Green uses the phrase, "I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, then all at once." 
I finished this book in one day. And it was not one of those days where you force yourself to finish a book, *cough*thelastthreeharrypotterbooks*cough* I honestly just couldn't sleep until I finished it. The words filled myself with so much helpless hope, I felt the pain of the characters, I breathed heavy like Hazel and I flashed a crooked grin like Augustus. If that is not the mark of a brilliant book, frankly, I don't know what is. 

go devour some words, 
rach

No comments:

Post a Comment