Friday, June 8, 2012

something wicked this way comes...

in honor of the late Ray Bradbury, I want everyone to go read a book. I don't care if it is a picture book, your favorite childhood book, or a novel for your college class, just read.


I am currently in the process of rereading all of my favorite childhood book series. I do this every summer and it just makes me feel home; it is beautiful how a book does that, it takes on a different dress every time you read it. Cornelia Funk and Clive Barker wrote novels that transported my childhood to new experiences and really expanded my creativity. just thought I would share what lovely words I have been devouring.




in the past few years, my mom and I voiced concern that reading was falling to the wayside in our western culture. but friends, we have hope. young teenagers are reading Austen, delving into the old language, trying to find that magical romance. Even dare I say, the vampire fad novels, at least they are making teens read.
so, I will leave thee, and get back to my book, but I want to leave you with some quotes, about books, from books, it's kind of my style:

“You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.”  -Ray Bradbury

“Isn't it odd how much fatter a book gets when you've read it several times?" Mo had said..."As if something were left between the pages every time you read it. Feelings, thoughts, sounds, smells...and then, when you look at the book again many years later, you find yourself there, too, a slightly younger self, slightly different, as if the book had preserved you like a pressed flower...both strange and familiar.” -Cornelia Funk

“Books loved anyone who opened them, they gave you secruity and friendship and didn't ask for anything in return; they never went away, never, not even when you treated them badly. ” -Cornelia Funk

“any fool can be happy. It takes a man with real heart to make beauty out of the stuff that makes us weep.” -Clive Barker

“I've learned two things in my life. One that love is the beginning and end of all meaning. And two that it is the same thing whatever shape our souls have taken on this journey. Love is love. Is love. ” -Clive Barker


"Don't think. Thinking is the enemy of creativity. It's self-conscious, and anything self-conscious is lousy. You can't try to do things. You simply must do things." -Ray Bradbury

go read a book,
rach

No comments:

Post a Comment