Monday, January 16, 2012

life is a road trip


This picture says it all. At least for my life anyway, but i think it's a pretty good generalization overall.  Over the past semester at the good ole WC, i was feeling completely lost. more lost than i've ever felt before. i don't know if it was a combination of realizing that i'm almost at the halfway point of college, noticing close friendships in high school disintegrate, questioning my faith, broadening my beliefs and morals, or just the mass amount of people around me that seem to have their entire lives planned out. it's hard. it's so hard to feel like you're the only one who doesn't know what to do with their life-but fortunately i have two wonderful roommates who feel the same way, and help me feel comfort in the fact that i don't know what the heck i'm going to school for. 

so this is where i make the analogy that life is a road trip.  my life is a road trip without a GPS; my map hasn't been updated for 20 years; my music is a random collaboration of old and new mixed CDs; the trip is traveled independently and alone. my life doesn't have written instructions and directions about what to do next- i go with the flow and figure out my moves on a daily to weekly basis, but that's the furthest i go. my life always has a tendency to drift back to the old ways: this could mean the basic necessities of life in the sense that i have a love/hate relationship with technology and prefer to act like i live in 1975, or this could be in the sense that i feel nostalgia on a daily basis. my interests and the relationships in my life are randomly collaborated: i don't have a certain "group" of people that i run around with-i'd like to say that i have friends in many different categories; a lot of my "likes" or "dislikes" don't match up with each other-like who else has an obsession with body glitter but hates pastels and the color pink (ok maybe that's not a hard one), or who else would be perfectly content with either playing nancy drew computer games like she's 10 on a friday night or enjoyably smoking hookah at a friday night fraternity party? My life is independent-and has been for as long as i can remember. I'm glad I can be alone but not feel lonely all the time. If i were to take a road trip alone, it would be an extremely enjoyable experience for me, where i think others would shudder at the thought. but if the right person ever comes along, i wouldn't mind having them in the passenger seat feeding me sour gummy worms.

this is me. this is my life. it's random, but has a quirky order. many of the road signs in my life are misleading, but i just have to interpret them in the way i feel is the best option for my life. life is adventurous. it's a road trip. nobody really knows where they're going, what they're doing, who they're going to marry, or what they're going to eat tomorrow, but the reason for knowing this is true and making the best of it is so your life can be an adventure. LIFE IS SUPPOSED TO BE FUN.  It should be full of twists and turns and "slippery when wet signs." Don't be afraid to drive down a one-way street in the opposite direction or disobey a "do not enter" sign.  sometimes you have to break the rules or stand up for what you believe in because if you don't, your life won't be an adventure, and what stories will you tell your grandchildren? and if you're unlike me and have a GPS configured for the next 4 years of your road trip, don't be afraid to turn it off for awhile or even chuck it in the trash. don't feel like you need to know where you're going with your life. because we aren't supposed to know. we're supposed to figure it out along the way-one day at a time. don't worry about what tomorrow will bring. focus on what you need to do TODAY to make you and everybody around you happy. it's as simple as that.

travel lightly,
hill

No comments:

Post a Comment